Caernarfon RFC | Women 41 - 14 Pontyclun RFC | Women

Match Report
10 October 2017 / Team News

Merched Caernarfon 41 - Merched Pontyclun 14


The score line may suggest that this was a fairly comfortable victory for the home side but in reality it was a very keenly contested league match with everyone making a valuable contribution during the afternoon.

It was apparent from early on that both sides were quite evenly matched with dogged defence from both outfits ensuring that all of twenty minutes were played before the first points were recorded. At this juncture Pontyclun were able to feed the ball wide to Rafiuke Taylor in space, so try time was evident from the moment she set off on her angled run to round the defence and ground close to the posts to give Brogan Jones an easier conversion, that she duly converted.

Caernarfon rallied with Teleri Davies impressive with her constant gain line  crossing charges. Slowly they worked their way up field and following a series of surges the ball was spread wide to wing Rhian Pritchard who had the pace to outflank the cover and score. Fullback Beth Davies converted to draw the scores level. Five minutes later a similar sequence of events saw opposite wing Lowri Hughes power her way to the line to give the Cofis the lead.

Pontyclun were however adept at slowing Cofi possession with the back row of Georgia Evans and Megan Oaten prominent as regards tackling and harassing the opposition. Teleri Davies featured again at the outset of the move that led to the home side's third try. Her break out of defence eventually resulted in the ball being fed wide to grant Rhian Pritchard another run in that was again improved upon with Beth Davies's conversion.

The second half began beneficially for the Cofis with powerful surges and good offloading  finding gaps in the Pontyclun rearguard. Tawny Travis drove at the heart of the defence for the Cofis to camp in the danger zone before fullback Beth Davies was able to weave her way through to score with less than four minutes played. Nicky Crawford was also stamping her authority on the midfield, being strong in the tackle and with ball in hand.

The next score came on the hour mark when Beth Davies conjured a try from nothing, chipping through and then winning the race to ground successfully.

Pontyclun, to their credit, stuck to their task with scrum half Jess Pritchard aggressive and controlling at the base of all mauls and rucks . Kim Jones and Amy Evans were also allies that could be relied upon to gain valuable yardage. Cofi fitness levels were tested but the likes of Emma Edwards and Brea Leung kept up a high tackle count to the end, whilst Janet Small took to the field for her first taste of competitive rugby.

Eventually Pontyclun were rewarded for their unyielding attitude  when Jess Pritchard who had gone very close on one previous occasion took a quick tap penalty and scrambled to the try line. Brogan Jones again added the extras. As the game was drawing to a close a break out of defence by replacement flanker Sophie Richards found her in space but seventy meters from the try line. However she pinned her ears back and went for it with real determination leaving a trail of would be tacklers in her wake to receive the loudest cheer of the day as she grounded between the sticks. Busy ball carrier Olwyn Jones stepped up to slot the final conversion.  

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos