Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 40 - 14 Bethesda RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
02 October 2016 / Team News

Caernarfon 40 - Bethesda 14

Caernarfon 40  Bethesda  14.


Caernarfon's incisive second half display saw them break the resistance of the dogged and committed Bethesda pack to record a five try to one victory over the old adversaries.

For the first fifteen minutes it was Bethesda who looked the more eager and cohesive side being sharper to the ball in both tight and loose with one Llion Lloyd break from deep nearly bringing just reward. The Cofi pack slowly gained parity at scrum time and following receiving good quick ball they were able to either get in behind the first line of defence or to draw them offside. A Mac Jones charge led to the first penalty attempt falling to standoff Guto Pierce who duly dispatched the offering to open Caernarfon's account.  A sweet back row move caused the necessary chaos to allow Pierce to double the Cofi lead some five minutes later.

Flanker Dylan Hughes and prop Paul Thomas did a lot of good work for Bethesda both in defence and attack but unnecessary  infringements saw Pierce yet again extend the Cofi lead with half an hour played. However within the space of eight minutes Daniel Pritchard was successful with three penalties of his own to equal the score, one for retaliation, one for a high tackle and one for preventing release. It would have appeared to have been the final score of the half but Caernarfon on the last play won a lineout and with blind side winger Liam Hughes joining the line in midfield enough confusion was caused to allow Iolo Hughes to fend off his opposite number and score out wide to give the Cofis a five point advantage.

Caernarfon started the second half with a little more urgency and forced Bethesda to defend. A tackle without the use of arms resulted in Iolo Hughes tacking a quick tap penalty to force his way over for his second try with Guto Pierce again adding the conversion. The crowd then witnessed a fine backs move that was only just halted in time, however from the position gained, pressure resulted in Mac Jones being able to pick up from the base of a scrum and bisect the cover to score a fine individual effort. Pierce again converted to establish a fairly commanding lead.

A number of substitutes entered the fray for Caernarfon but before they could adjust a spilt ball at a scrum saw Aron Roberts breakaway  before finding Dylan Hughes in support within the tramlines. He was able to find the telling pass that allowed the ball to seek midfield space with fullback Llion Lloyd receiving  to score a well worked try. Captain Iwan Williams did his best to galvanise the Besda troops but by now Caernarfon had a little more firepower. Griff Ifor as the replacement Number 8 figured prominently and Dafydd Lloyd Hughes at centre was a continuous handful. Another scrum  was the setting for the all important bonus point try, Bryn Granville fed Carwyn Roberts as the newly recruited standoff and his pace and power saw him charge over from fifteen yards. Dafydd Lloyd Hughes struck the conversion cleanly from quite a distance.

Within the number of added minutes a charge involving both forwards and backs saw two props combining well to score the final try, loose head Rhobat John managed deftly to release Armando Morgan who scythed over triumphantly to keep the Cofi momentum ticking over nicely.

It was also pleasing to note in the clubhouse later that a number of Bethesda players had brought their young families along with them, maintaining that traditional characteristic that's far too often lost within the sport in this day and age.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos